action packed day (including a visit to the village)
I was so touched that everyone in the family except for my cousin's wife (who had to work) and Hong Hong (who had to go to school) took time off from their jobs and normal lives to take us on this once-in-a-lifetime trip. My uncle was turning away patients on his cell phone as we were heading up.
My aunt packed enough food for all of us to survive on for 2 days. I was constantly handed fruit and snacks from behind. One thing I haven't mentioned yet is that my aunt truly gets upset when you tell you don't want to eat what she's offering. If this is her expression of love, then she's infatuated with me. ;)
Distance-wise, it's probably not that far from Meizhou to my dad's village (Chung How). The thing is, roads are not as well developed as they are here in Canada. In some places, it was single or 1.5 lanes. We stopped off at a couple of scenic stops, and my cousin Mun Gwun's house. Her husband and son live there. She had some furniture that belonged to my grandmother. My aunt brought a lot of stuff to burn for our ancestors (including incense). We then walked around the Hakka tulou that my dad grew up in. It's pretty big, but they said they only occupied a few rooms. It was interesting and sad at the same time. I couldn't possibly imagine living under those conditions.
After chatting with some distant uncles, we took off for a famous local landmark. My dad told us about this place for decades so it was cool to finally see it. It had three wonders that defy explanation. A BLOG is not the best place to describe it. Please see my Facebook album for more details.
Next, it was off to the tea gardens. It was so nice to breathe the fresh air there. It was about lunch time, so we had a meal in the circular building. The service at the tea gardens was second to none. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. We had a private room to ourselves with a gorgeous view of the tea gardens from the balcony. The food was fantastic as well. There were dishes that used tea in the cooking process.
We then went on a hike to check out the rows and rows of tea leaves that we had seen from the balcony. It was a pleasant hike, and ended off with consuming more of the tea.
This kind of action-packed day is typical for me when I am travelling. I like to make the most of the time that I am travelling somewhere and see as many sites as possible. However, I think it was a bit much for the rest of my relatives, so we ended up going back into town after that.
My aunt packed enough food for all of us to survive on for 2 days. I was constantly handed fruit and snacks from behind. One thing I haven't mentioned yet is that my aunt truly gets upset when you tell you don't want to eat what she's offering. If this is her expression of love, then she's infatuated with me. ;)
Distance-wise, it's probably not that far from Meizhou to my dad's village (Chung How). The thing is, roads are not as well developed as they are here in Canada. In some places, it was single or 1.5 lanes. We stopped off at a couple of scenic stops, and my cousin Mun Gwun's house. Her husband and son live there. She had some furniture that belonged to my grandmother. My aunt brought a lot of stuff to burn for our ancestors (including incense). We then walked around the Hakka tulou that my dad grew up in. It's pretty big, but they said they only occupied a few rooms. It was interesting and sad at the same time. I couldn't possibly imagine living under those conditions.
After chatting with some distant uncles, we took off for a famous local landmark. My dad told us about this place for decades so it was cool to finally see it. It had three wonders that defy explanation. A BLOG is not the best place to describe it. Please see my Facebook album for more details.
Next, it was off to the tea gardens. It was so nice to breathe the fresh air there. It was about lunch time, so we had a meal in the circular building. The service at the tea gardens was second to none. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. We had a private room to ourselves with a gorgeous view of the tea gardens from the balcony. The food was fantastic as well. There were dishes that used tea in the cooking process.
We then went on a hike to check out the rows and rows of tea leaves that we had seen from the balcony. It was a pleasant hike, and ended off with consuming more of the tea.
This kind of action-packed day is typical for me when I am travelling. I like to make the most of the time that I am travelling somewhere and see as many sites as possible. However, I think it was a bit much for the rest of my relatives, so we ended up going back into town after that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home