The Year in Retrospect
2006 will be fondly remembered as the "Year on the Plane". I had known about a few of my trips ahead of time, but could not even begin to imagine all of the travelling and adventures that I ended up getting myself into. Unfortunately,this BLOG gave the wrong impression that I was just travelling and having fun in Europe. I worked some pretty long hours, and actually didn't get to see as much of London as I would have liked.
It was a year of incredible growth, both on a personal and a professional level. Working in different countries has given me perspective, and forced me to be more adaptable and smart in dealing with different situations. I will be forever grateful to Adastra for the opportunities that they gave me, and their faith in me to get the job done. In the 3 years that I was employed by them, I learned more than some people do in 10 years or more.
On a personal level, I went completely outside of my comfort zone during my hike on the Inca trail in Peru. It was a colossal step for the big city girl to do without electricity and running water for 4 days. We take a lot of our comforts for granted in North America. Even a world class city like London doesn't have air conditioning everywhere. Another thing that I realized (both from Peru and Europe) is that we don't need to eat nearly as much as we think we do. When I first went to Europe, I thought I was being ripped off because the portions were so small. For us white collar office workers who sit for 8 hours a day, we often eat snacks at work to be social (especially if the stuff is homemade), and driving to and from work doesn't give us the exercise that we need.
I can't put into words just how good it is to be home. I missed all of you immensely while I was away, and I'm really grateful to those who kept in close touch. Your e-mails and phone calls meant a lot. Many thanks to all of you who have been following me through my travels throughout the year. Keeping this BLOG up-to-date was a bit of work, but it was fun and well worth it at the same time. Here's to a great 2007 for everyone! Cheers!
It was a year of incredible growth, both on a personal and a professional level. Working in different countries has given me perspective, and forced me to be more adaptable and smart in dealing with different situations. I will be forever grateful to Adastra for the opportunities that they gave me, and their faith in me to get the job done. In the 3 years that I was employed by them, I learned more than some people do in 10 years or more.
On a personal level, I went completely outside of my comfort zone during my hike on the Inca trail in Peru. It was a colossal step for the big city girl to do without electricity and running water for 4 days. We take a lot of our comforts for granted in North America. Even a world class city like London doesn't have air conditioning everywhere. Another thing that I realized (both from Peru and Europe) is that we don't need to eat nearly as much as we think we do. When I first went to Europe, I thought I was being ripped off because the portions were so small. For us white collar office workers who sit for 8 hours a day, we often eat snacks at work to be social (especially if the stuff is homemade), and driving to and from work doesn't give us the exercise that we need.
I can't put into words just how good it is to be home. I missed all of you immensely while I was away, and I'm really grateful to those who kept in close touch. Your e-mails and phone calls meant a lot. Many thanks to all of you who have been following me through my travels throughout the year. Keeping this BLOG up-to-date was a bit of work, but it was fun and well worth it at the same time. Here's to a great 2007 for everyone! Cheers!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home