Chicago - day 1

Flying into Chicago's Midway airport was great because it is on the Orange Line of their transit system. I only had to make one line change, and walk a bit to get to my hotel in the NE end of town.
My friend Elaine was in town at the same time as me, but we weren't able to hook up at Millennium Park (I went a few hours after her) because I was starving after I finished unpacking. I went to a great restaurant (Tavern on Rush) that was across from the hotel, and ordered a turkey avocado club. I was famished at the time, so I ordered fries instead of a coleslaw. Big mistake - I forgot about the American portions. It was during my meal that I figured out what kind of neighbourhood I was in by listening to conversations and noticing what people were wearing. The Gold Coast neighbourhood in Chicago has a similar vibe to Yorkville in Toronto.
Now that my belly was full, it was off to the Architectural Boat Tour. I really enjoyed it, and learned lots about the city and its history. A Canadian couple was in front of me, and we chatted for a bit. I then went to Millennium Park, and checked out the stores on the Magnificent Mile on the way back. The plan was to go to Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza that night, but I was pretty pooped from all the walking, and was still full from lunch, so I spent a quiet night with my beloved American specialty channels.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home