Sunday, December 19, 2010

Malaysia - day 2


One thing that I liked about the tour was that we would get a piece of paper every day saying when we would get a wake up call, when we should go down for breakfast, when we would meet in the lobby, and what time we should have our luggage ready outside our room. It was so nice to completely turn my brain off and have someone else take care of the arrangements.



The breakfast at the Sheraton was the best we had on the trip. The rest of the buffets were not bad, but this one had the most variety, best quality and a pleasant seating area. The scones and the jackfruit were the best I have had anywhere.



We lost a bit of time because they screwed up our luggage pickup. Once it was all accounted for, we headed to the Royal Palace for photos. After that, we whipped through the National Museum of Kuala Lampur. It was on to the war memorial after that. I think the heat was getting to me because I got a little silly in the photos. It was so hot that even the HK folks were complaining. After taking some more photos around scenic areas of KL, we went to the one high pressure sales pitch location on the whole trip. They were selling a soup (yuk gwut cha) that is coveted by certain people for its health benefits. I don't cave in to those high pressure sales tactics, but they had some other cheap food for sale, so I continued my gift shopping.

We had to get comfy on the bus because it was a long ride to Malacca/Melaka. Our first stop was the Butterfly Conservatory. It also had other animals (e.g. crocodiles, snakes, peacocks, etc.) that you don't see everyday. I left my umbrella on the bus, so my tour mate Cliff was so sweet and made sure we stuck together so that we could under the giant golf umbrella that he had. The tour of the conservatory ended with a fruit buffet. In addition to fruit, there were also coconut based desserts that were yummy. The next stop was the home of Malaysian man who was famous for having many children. Before the trip, they said that a HKD$90 rickshaw ride was optional. It turned out that it wasn't that optional, and everyone else was did it. In addition to the rickshaw ride, there was an amphibian tour around the city of Melaka. The city of Melaka was all water at one point, and they had to do a lot of construction to build the city. The sky looked ominous while we were out on the water, and we got back just in time. I felt sorry for the poor suckers that were after us. Although the amphibious vehicle could handle rainy conditions, I'm sure that the vehicle gets stuffy when you roll down the plastic curtains.

After the tour, it was off to yet another Chinese dinner. The problem with these Hong Kong tours is that they bring you to places that try to serve Cantonese food, and they usually don't get it right. The food on this tour was better than the attempts in Beijing and Shanghai though.

After arriving at the hotel, it was a very sad moment because we had to part with our beloved Malaysian tour guide Sandy. She had us in stitches for parts of the tour, and was just an all-around superstar tour guide. Everyone fought to take photos with her after I initiated. The hotel in Melaka was the worst on the tour. It was 3 star at best, and Monica said that they didn't even have a blowdryer in her room. Unfortunately, she discovered this after washing her long hair.

So long Malaysia - it was a lot of fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home