Saturday, July 29, 2006

SCHEISS!! Trip to Wolfsburg cut short

There was an emergency at work in London, so I had to scramble to book a train ticket to Hanover, and fly out from there. Many thanks to my co-worker Anna for booking both my flight and my hotel on such short notice. The lack of air conditioning at the VW office wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We had windows, and there was a breeze coming through. The hotel was probably worse, but my room was pretty nice (especially the HUGE shower).

All this was contrasted by my not-so-nice hotel room in Hackney, which I had to stay in for 3 nights. Let's start by saying that Hackney has the highest murder rate in London. I have never been in a hotel where you had to turn a light on by pulling on a string. I had to wait a few minutes to get out of the shower because it was so slow to drain (that's all over London though). I tried opening the door once, but all the water gushed out. Breakfast was served between 8:30am-10:30am, and the closest tube station was a 15 minute walk away. I tried walking to work one day, and it was 45 minutes.

Happily, I am back in my beloved Tower Bridge flats. The executive studio apartment that I am in now is designed better than my last one (no sensor-driven lights in the bathroom). I'll be moving into my lodgings for the remainder of the project next week. I can't wait to have semi-permanent lodgings. Only then can I consider going on weekend trips, and having visitors. I'm sick of moving around like a hobo. Even when I was Waterloo I only moved once every 4 months!

Gotta go and get some groceries. Next update will likely be in a week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home