first full day in Athens

Even though I managed to sleep on both flights on the way here, I was exhausted yesterday after arriving in Athens. After unpacking, and grabbing some grub, I spent the balance of the evening in my musty hotel room. This is what I get for being cheap about hotel rates, and choosing one in the pickpocket area. That's how I'm trying to justify the 45 Euro for my cab ride from the airport (I found out today that I can take public transit to the airport for aroud 9 Euro).
It was an enjoyable day in the Acropolis-Plaka area. I had a really nice lunch on a patio to cool my heels off before walking again. There were lots of vendors everywhere wanting to sell cheap fanny packs, purses, belts, sunglasses and trinkets. There were open markets that were bustling with locals.
I am still kicking myself over the cab ride, so I decided to go cheap on dinner. I went to a place where the locals go, that I spotted on the way back to the hotel. The man at the cash register didn't speak a word of English, and had to bring a nearby female vendor who did. I have no idea what was said 2 seconds after she placed by order, but a shouting match in Greek ensued. She looked like she was gonna climb over the counter and stick the chef's head on the grill.
My next post will be from Santorini Island - can't wait!
It was an enjoyable day in the Acropolis-Plaka area. I had a really nice lunch on a patio to cool my heels off before walking again. There were lots of vendors everywhere wanting to sell cheap fanny packs, purses, belts, sunglasses and trinkets. There were open markets that were bustling with locals.
I am still kicking myself over the cab ride, so I decided to go cheap on dinner. I went to a place where the locals go, that I spotted on the way back to the hotel. The man at the cash register didn't speak a word of English, and had to bring a nearby female vendor who did. I have no idea what was said 2 seconds after she placed by order, but a shouting match in Greek ensued. She looked like she was gonna climb over the counter and stick the chef's head on the grill.
My next post will be from Santorini Island - can't wait!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home